A colleague of mine, soon to be married, wanted to commemorate his marriage in a special way for his and his future wife’s guests.
And so this colleague commissioned a painting that was to be turned into little gifts.
This painting was to capture the spirit of their marriage.
Just to give you a little insight into what you are seeing: here’s a few pointers:
- In Latin, Pro Eo (printed on the shepherd’s banner) means “For Him.” The marriage is first for God, for Christ. In this picture, he is depicted child with His Sacred Heart.
- Saint Joseph, the foster father of Jesus, serves as another central figure in their marriage and relationship.
- The lamb symbolizes the wife, whose middle name Agnes means lamb.
- The small shepherd boy represents the husband who is the spiritual leader of the family and is responsible for leading his flock to God.
- Finally in the background you can see some wood being chopped. Saint Joseph was a carpenter, but this detail also is a foreshadowing of the passion and death of Christ.
- Further on in the background you can see the tower of St. Mary’s campus, the place where the couple met.
After the 8 x 10 painting was completed, I had it captured and replicated into 5 x 7 prints.
The groom and I worked on the text which explained the painting for each of the guests. Then once everything was printed, I packaged individual prints and little placards in cellophane bags.
They were delivered just in time for the final wedding preparations.
It was such an honor to help make this dear colleagues wedding day special. And it was a delightful project!
I hope you enjoyed looking at it as much as I enjoy designing it and executing it.
Thanks so much for visiting, reading, and looking!
#Watercolor #WatercolorPainting #WindsorandNewton #Canson #Kansas #KansasArtist #MidwestArtist #GoToJoseph #SaintJoseph #Catholic #SacredHeartOfJesus #SacredHeart #Commission #ForCommissions #WeddingPresent #WeddingGift