Nestled in the sleepy Midwestern Flint Hills of Kansas, just off Highway 24, this historic campus can be found.
Last August I was commissioned to make a storybook style map of the old Jesuit grounds.
Seven months later, I was able to present it to my client.
This map, begun during the death of my grandmother, the wedding of my sister, and a couple chunks of sickness, has been quite a journey! Check out the slideshow below to see the final map painting from sketch to ‘almost’ end!
I am very grateful for the support of family and friends who were able to look at the work with honest eyes.
I am also grateful for the patience of my client after a few setbacks.
Some good life lessons and simple art lessons were learned.
Here’s a small sampling of them:
- Ask people. You see more with other people’s perspectives.
- Make time to do your regular hobby and for balanced life habits; it keeps your creative juices flowing. This will make you tackle the professional project at hand with more zeal -and more skill.
- Straight lines matter with perspective.
- Manage the inside voice. If you let your inside voice be harsh and critical, your work will be stressed looking and uptight. In times of performance you need a coach, not a browbeater.
- Continually give yourself over to the One who has made your talents possible. This really keeps the pressure off you. It’s almost like going into auto-pilot.
- Set a timer and take breaks.
- Audible and Movies do help – within reason.
- It’s time to add Adobe Creative suite to the list of skills
Do any of these life lessons resonate with you?
Thank you all for reading and taking a look! Deo Gratias for a beautiful job and everyone’s support and encouragement!
This painting was completed with Windsor and Newton watercolors, on a Arches cold pressed 140lb. watercolor sheet, 22×30.”
Thanks again for visiting; I’d appreciate it if you gave this post a like. Follow me on this blog for weekly uplifting beauty!
#WindsorNewton #Archer‘s #Kansas #Midwest #KansasPainting #KansasArtist #Flinthills #St.Mary’sKansas #Jesuit #Catholic #JesuitCampus #HistoricCampus #archespaper